On your very first and fresh installation of Windows 10, Windows 10 Update will attempt to download and install GPU drivers in the background. This error can sometimes take up to 5-10 minutes before the silent driver installation will be started. If you try to manually install a driver during this time then it will fail immediately just because a driver install is already being done silently in the background. Once this silent driver is completed, then you will be required to reboot your PC for it to finalize.
But in order to get a driver installed outside of Windows Update, you can follow the below steps:
- While installing Windows 10 for the first time, you need to first boot to Windows 10 and leave Windows for at least 15 minutes to make sure that the background silent download and installation is completed.
- Now reboot your PC to finalize the installation.
- Next you have to check to see the correct drivers are installed and functional, check to see if the NVIDIA Control panel is available.
- If there is still no driver installed then you can download the latest from the official website.
- While installing, select “Custom” and check the box for “perform clean installation”