Well, it would be a great pleasure to help you by resolving your Windows 10 update error issue. If you have received Windows error 0x80004005 while trying to install Windows update then it means that Windows Update folders are corrupted. And to try some troubleshooting steps you can try these below steps if they can help:
You can try running the Window Update troubleshooter and can fix this issue:
- Press Windows Key and then type ‘troubleshoot’ and then hit enter key.
- After this select “View All” on the left panel and then run “Windows Update troubleshooter from the list.
- Now you can simply click Advanced but make sure to check Apply repairs automatically and also Run as administrator.
- Click Next and then follow the on-screen instructions in order to complete the troubleshooting.
- After doing all these, you can check if it allows you install Windows Updates without any errors.
- Press Windows key + X and then click on ‘Command prompt’
- Now type the following command into the command prompt one after another
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
- Keep Command Prompt window opened.
- Rename Windows Update folders
- Type the following command at the command prompt and then press Enter after each command:
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
- Now close the Command prompt windows and then check if you can install updates.
Hope the given solution help you to fix the error 0x80004005 in Windows 10 but if not check this blog for more information.